9.3 C
London
Saturday, February 21, 2026
9.3 C
London
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Sign up for Newsletter

NRL shock: Brandon Smith charged with drug supply as star teammate’s name surfaces

NRL star Brandon Smith faces drug and betting charges as Victor Radley’s name is dragged in

The National Rugby League has been rocked by one of its biggest scandals in recent years after South Sydney hooker Brandon Smith was charged with drug supply and using inside knowledge for betting.

Queensland Police confirmed on Monday that the 29-year-old Kiwi international, who only joined the Rabbitohs mid-season, will face court next month over the serious allegations.

Smith, a premiership winner with Melbourne Storm and former Dally M Hooker of the Year, was stopped by officers at Coolangatta Airport earlier this month before Souths’ clash with the Gold Coast Titans. He was questioned and released without charge at the time, but detectives from Taskforce Maxima’s Organised Crime Gangs Group have since laid charges.

The allegations have now spiralled further after it was revealed that Smith’s former Sydney Roosters teammate Victor Radley has been named in police documents linked to the case. News Corp reported Radley’s name appears in the summons. However, there is no suggestion of wrongdoing by Radley, and Queensland Police have confirmed he is not a person of interest.

Embed from Getty Images

According to reports, detectives will allege Smith supplied drugs during a stay in Queensland on 7 June, and separately passed on inside knowledge about South Sydney’s team selection ahead of a round 18 clash with Manly. Police claim a drug dealer then used that information to place bets.

Smith’s lawyer, Paul McGirr, insists the charges will be contested. “The allegation confirms Brandon wasn’t even in the jurisdiction of Queensland at the time of the alleged offending,” he said. South Sydney echoed that stance in a statement, declaring the player was not present in the state when the alleged offences occurred.

Despite this, prosecutors point to section six of Queensland’s Drugs Misuse Act, which states that drug supply can constitute a crime even if the recipient or supplier is outside the state at the time.

Smith will appear in Southport Magistrates Court on 18 September. Police have stressed their investigation remains ongoing.

The developments have ignited fierce debate across the sport, with Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett refusing to stand down his embattled star. “He has been charged and has to appear before the courts. The NRL has a decision to make because obviously another player is now involved as well. But I’m not standing him down… that’s not going to happen,” Bennett said on Tuesday.

The Rabbitohs confirmed they had notified the NRL integrity unit but would make no further comment while the matter is before police. The league itself has yet to announce whether it will impose a no-fault stand-down order on the player, a move frequently applied in serious criminal matters.

Smith, known for his cheeky persona and cult following, has seen his once-bright career stumble under the weight of scandal and injury. After lifting the premiership trophy with Melbourne in 2020, he joined the Roosters before a sensational mid-season switch to arch-rivals Souths this year. Yet he has managed only four appearances for the Rabbitohs due to persistent injuries.

Off the field, the forward remains one of New Zealand’s most decorated current players, having represented the Kiwis 13 times. His Rabbitohs contract runs until 2027, but the latest charges cast significant uncertainty over his future in the sport.

For now, all eyes turn to Southport Magistrates Court, where one of rugby league’s most recognisable figures must answer to accusations that could end his playing days — and leave an indelible stain on the NRL.

Don’t Miss Key Legal Updates

Get SRA rule changes, SDT decisions, and legal industry news straight to your inbox.
Latest news
Related news